Pictures: Day 4

Day 4 / Sunday, June 15, 2008


That's Steve in front of the pavilion who used to be a career man, but wanted out and setup this campground aimed mainly at motorcycles. There's a real laid back atmosphere and he organizes some big rallies that are turning into mini-Sturgis events.


An outdoor stage where bands perform during the rallies and the huge campfire ring besides it.


They called it Toad Rock cause a rock nearby looks like a toad. Simple.


I was heading to Vancouver today taking the scenic route through southern BC's beautiful interior. Heading up to Kaslo along Kootenay Lake.


The size of the mountains emptying into the lakes was a sight to behold. There were huge lakes around every corner carved out by retreating glaciers at the end of the last Ice Age, about 10,000 years ago.


And because of so many lakes, there's quite a few ferries to take. Always fun to ride a ferry on a bike and I believe they're all free in BC. Waiting to cross from Fauquier to Needles with a bunch of other bikers. Being a beautiful Sunday, I saw lots of bikes enjoying these roads. They all got quite a kick after hearing that I was on my way to Alaska from Chicago. By this time I was used to getting the "you're crazy" look.


On Route 6 heading to Vernon, BC.


The view of Osoyoos in the valley below from the Crowsnest Highway, back down near the US border, heading west.


And they had some fun tight turns to quickly get down from the hills into the valley.


This is where the road becomes a party of the scenery.


Heading towards Princeton through a big valley. One thing I loved about Interior BC was the constant undulating landscape.


All these roads could be labeled as scenic highways in my view.


Now this is more my kind of road. Taking a little diversion from Princeton and heading to the small town of Coalmont, where I thought I could take a shortcut to get back on the highway.


The winters are great in BC with tones of snow for skiing, but the steeps also pose a danger in terms of avalanches.


The quirky little town of Coalmont.


Another way of really saying that solicitors are not welcome.


The one block town of Coalmont. A mining town back in the day and slowing coming back to life.


The shortcut didn't look too bad. It was about 20 miles of this to the highway. I thought it was totally doable within an hour.


I figured I'd get a mug shot before I lost more daylight. But sadly, the road got rougher and rougher and I think I could've done it but I was going slower than expected and didn't want my hosts in Vancouver to be staying up too late waiting for me, so I turned around and got back on the highway.


Putting air pressure back in my tires after reaching the pavement in the remote town of Tulameen.


I think this view alone was worth coming out of my way. Heading back to Princeton.

Next: Day 5 - 6, Vancouver to Interior BC


Picture Index

No comments: